top of page

Firecrackers hurt animals

TO most people, the Christmas season and celebrating the New Year is a time of joy and merriment. However, to animal lovers nationwide, it’s a time of uncertainty and concern.

It is customary for many to usher in the New Year with a ‘bang’ with the use of firecrackers, squibs and bright fireworks. While these are fun for many adults and children, it is not the same for animals.

Donna Lam, an animal activist and founder of the Rosewood Foundation, in an exclusive interview with this publication, said that during the season of such festivities animal lovers like herself dread not knowing how their pets will react to the sounds fireworks.

“Fireworks and other explosive materials produce sparks, flames, and fumes, causing harm to animals. The hearing of many animals is much more sensitive than it is in humans, so the explosions of fireworks are not only more disturbing to them, but can damage their hearing more severely.”

She explained that the ‘booming’ loud sounds caused by fireworks and firecrackers can lead to loss of hearing and tinnitus.

Dogs, she added are known to suffer irreversible hearing loss if caught in close proximity to exploding fireworks. The loud sound of firecrackers is enough to give repeated nervous breakdowns to dogs and cats.

The activist further explained that fireworks normally contain harmful chemicals and metals to produce a variety of bold colours.

“These chemicals and metals are making their way into our rivers. In addition to being poisonous to animals, their explosion releases harmful particles that are toxic for animals to inhale. It can worsen existing respiratory conditions and cause a variety of others.

The proximity of the animals to the areas where the firecrackers are lit often causes burns and damage to the eyes. Birds and fishes have been known to ingest harmful material assuming its food.”

She added, “Fireworks are dangerous to all animals. Dangerous to animals who are in close proximity to where they explode and animals further away, who ingest or inhale the particles carried by the wind.”

Read the full article here Guyana Chronicle


bottom of page