March 20-26 this year is Pet Poison Prevention - so we're taking this chance to remind you of a few dangers around your home that can cause your pet to become extremely ill.
- OTC Medications - these should NEVER be given to your pets unless directed by a REGISTERED veterinarian. The dosage and contents of human medication is not always safe for pets.
- Chocolate & sweets - chocolates contain a chemical called Theobromine that is very difficult for dogs to metabolize. Severe cases of "chocolate poisoning" can include muscle tremors, seizures, and heart failure.
- Foods containing grapes, raisins, and currants (such as raisin bran cereal, trail mix, granola mix, baked goods) are all potential sources of poison for your pets. The most common early symptoms of grape or raisin toxicity are vomiting, lack of appetite, lethargy, and possibly diarrhea and kidney failure.
- Cleaning products - may contain bleach, ammonia, chlorine, glycol ethers, or formaldehyde. These are all potentially harmful, especially to young children and pets - however some products only result in minor clinical signs of vomiting and diarrhea, so it's important to do your research or find natural cleaners/cleaning mixtures.